Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Defining Moments

Oh, it is so sweet to sneak away from all of the busyness inside my home right now. I've missed my blog. It's so sweet to be able to write about whatever I want and not worry about it being perfect...

For some reason, and I still can't figure it out, this year just feels SO much crazier than last year. I feel like the kids are involved in the same activities, but we never seem to stop. It's actually making me a touch frustrated. If only I could put my finger on what it was, I would fix it in a heartbeat, but for now I'm left wondering.

Can I just share a HUGE bright spot, though? I was absolutely floored when Carrie at Live, Learn, and Love Together linked to my last post! Seriously, I think she is just about the coolest person I've never met! :P If you have never visited Carrie's blog, you must! Everything about it makes me happy: the colors, the fonts, her writing, her beautiful family. She's amazing. Thanks, Carrie!

Last week I went to a meeting for our homeschool group. We always begin with chapel, but I tell you all the kids want to do is worship. When our director starts her short message, my kids get a little antsy and I am almost always unable to connect. This week however, she spoke about homeschooling as a calling. The core of the message centered around the fact that many of us have chosen to do what we do because we were called by the Lord. If you have read any of my other posts, you may remember that homeschooling was truly not my idea and I actually chickened out at one point. The Lord, in His goodness, called again and this time I answered.

But I'm tired, friends...

It seems like all the things I loved most about homeschooling; the flexibility, the random field trips, the peaceful coming alongside my children, the worship, the joy has been replaced with schedules, scheduled field trips, finishing on time so we can get to our activities, tasks... it's overwhelming.

I need space. I need quiet. I need the Lord. I need time to reflect on His calling.

What has He called me to?

He called me to this time. I am who I am because of my generation and the parents he gave me (praise and thanksgiving to the Most High for mom and dad... they are the two most incredible people ever). The work I have ahead of me fulfills His purpose at this moment in history. If that thought doesn't just amaze you, I don't know what will.

He called me to be united forever with my best friend. Where there were two, fearless kids on the cusp of possibility, He created a family. Never would I have imagined marrying as young as we did (I was going to be a Supreme Court justice, you know). Praise God for the history we already have together.

He called me to parenthood through His perfect miracle of adoption. That fearless kid on her wedding day was so confident that pregnancy was a heartbeat away. Now I praise Him daily for the blessing of infertility.

As I reflect on these callings, I realize that these are the defining moments of my life. Coaching soccer teams, folding laundry, teaching classes, emptying the dishwasher, shuttling kids to and fro; those are things I do. They do not define who I am. God has defined my time and my family according to His plan, not mine.

Now, He has called our family to homeschool. He has made a way for us to be with our children and educate them morning, noon, and night. He has changed my boundaries and defined me once again, while also allowing me to define who my children will be. My three precious gifts will be who they were called to be and think differently about their lives in the future because of what's happening now.

And what's happening now?

Busy is happening. Movement is happening. Stress is happening. Tasks are happening (or not). :) I want this to be the defining moment for my family. I don't want the moments to define us. There is no glory to be found in busy. There is no joy to be found in rushing. The whole of life will demand deadlines and schedules. Do I want to teach my children that perfect attendance at gymnastics supersedes kind words or that showing up to every single homeschool activity trumps peacefulness in the home? It sounds silly even typing it, so I can only imagine how it must sound to read it. The answers are obvious, but what's less obvious is how we make needed changes.

For now, I must remember that I am living in one of my defining moments. When a sharp word is on my tongue, I will be mindful of the effects those words have in defining future generations. Peace be with you, friends.

4 comments:

  1. I just love your heart, Lins!! What a beautiful post!! (Thanks for your kind words, too! ... I think YOU are so cool!! ;)

    "I want this to be the defining moment for my family. I don't want the moments to define us. There is no glory to be found in busy. There is no joy to be found in rushing." ... Preach it, sister!! This is so well stated!

    Sounds like God is drawing you to Himself and a simpler way ... thanks for letting us benefit from your growth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say I have missed reading your view of things. I've not read Carrie's blog before (but I will now because of your suggestion) and I think you should know I think the same things about you and your blog as you do hers. Your writing style is so unique, truthful, and heartfelt that it's hard not to ask you to write more when you've been away. Your voice comes through so clearly.

    One of the things I worry about us homeschooling is the very thing you're dealing with now (which we haven't committed to homeschooling...I'm still chickening out). I know that first year would feel like a honeymoon and be wonderful. But I worry about the years later when it's not new and fresh anymore. I wonder how I would keep it from feeling routine, over-scheduled, and full of stuff each year. My advice is to just keep God first, study and search His word, and guide those in your life to do the same. Let Him change the things that need changing because He can do what you can't seem to do right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We experienced a bit of this. Last year it was just me and my 8 year old. Now I have both girls home and balancing their schedules, their interests, their very opposite personalities as well as fitting in some time for me can be a challenge. Patience is all I can advise. We all go through times when things just flow and other times when we have to work at it a bit harder.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your words, friends. Brandy, I've missed from you, too. Your words are so encouraging to me. Sending hugs to you and all the confidence I can. You will know what to do, mama. Just keep praying! Thanks to you, too Jessica! I appreciate your thoughts. Carrie, you're awesome! Keep inspiring me, girl!

    ReplyDelete